Social Studies Faculty
The general objectives of the Social Studies Department are to help students:
- Build a solid background in the skills of reading, writing, and oral expression;
- Examine causes and effects in human societies;
- Analyze knowledge and differentiate among fact, opinion, and interpretation;
- Identify major historical eras in order to interpret the influence of the past on the present;
- Identify important individuals and groups (ethnic, gender, religious) and analyze their impact on major issues and events;
- Analyze the factors and implications associated with historical and contemporary movements and settlements of people and groups in various times;
- Identify, compare, and evaluate the theories and principles of various governments;
- Understand the tensions between the forces of unity and those of disunity in various times;
- Evaluate the impact of economic systems on the needs and wants of all people and apply economic knowledge to their own lives;
- Study the nature of conflicts and how they have been or might have been or might be resolved.
Along with meeting these objectives, all students will be expected to complete at least two major research papers and two oral presentations during their high school careers.